23 June 2010

How are we playing?

We had emptied my car to make room for hundreds of plants and, in doing so, accidentally removed the Jim Rohn CD's I was listening to and so my university on wheels lost its teacher. Time for reflection instead. However, as we were driving to an Open Gardens event where Vanessa was selling her fabulous plants last Sunday, I heard something profound on Radio 4 (the station it happened to be on - I rarely listen to radio in the car). People were discussing the England performance against Algeria last week.

A sports psychologist wondered if the England team were "playing as if they were afraid to lose".

I suppose if we play as if we're afraid to lose, then are we being too tentative? Too defensive? Afraid to try? Afraid to 'fail'?

For me, this is an interesting plumb line to lay against our activity - can we be more courageous? Should we? Will we?

Do what you have to do as quickly as you can so you can do what you want to do for as long as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment