23 May 2009

A much needed walk and why wasps sting!


Blagdon Lake in the distance

I was complaining recently that I felt pretty exhausted, headaches, tired etc and my friend Nicky Wilkins (Armada Finance in Bristol) asked me, "Do you excercise?" I had to admit that I did not any longer, having foolishly thought that I could keep up with teenagers (and a very fit 60+ year old) playing a full game of football two weeks ago, I injured my knees, which put paid to the running...not that I was actively running...perhaps I should say, put paid to my planned re-attempt to re-start running! Well, when Nicky is not acting, juggling, swinging from a circus trapeze and lending money, he's also a fitness expert having coached gymnastics professionally...so I thought I'd be wise to take his advice and start to at least walk for 15 minutes a day with a bottle of water in hand. As he so rightly pointed out, living in Blagdon, I have beautiful countryside to walk in (the pictures above were actually taken in October - today was just like that, very warm, very sunny). So that's what I did this morning: we walked to the lake and back which is about 5,000 steps. On the way back, we bumped into John Smythe who is well known in Blagdon for keeping bees. I mentioned Terry Andrews who's also a renowned beekeeper in the Mendips (John says hello, Terry). We talked to him about wasps and their purpose apart from to sting you...he gave us an education on wasps, their purpose and why they're a nuisance in the later part of the summer. Thanks, John. And thanks Nicky...I'll do this every morning...and who knows, may start to train for that marathon again!

No comments:

Post a Comment